Costello Named Degree Recipient by Carpenters

The band of University maintenance men who annually assemble the speakers platform took time out yesterday to make their traditional predictions of the famous figures who will receive honorary degrees at Harvard's 800th commencement. But the uncomfortable midday heat apparently made the sawdust sooth-sayers more waggish than usual as 46 percent of those polled selected gambler Frank Costello as their first commencement choice.

When pinned down, the workmen were for the most part at a loss. As one carpenter put it, "Gee, son, they've already given them to the man I'd pick."

Almost all agreed that MacArthur should get one, and despite the General's tentative announcement that he couldn't make it, none would be surprised if MacArthur shows up.

Since MacArthur was awarded the honorary degree in 1946, each year the carpenters have hoped that he would get back to the States in time to trod the boards they had hewn and laid, but they still may have to wait another year.

Another popular choice was U.N. delegate Warren Austin, who was predicted by other sources recently. Said one man, "Warren Austin, he's a good man. He'd be ideal."

The carpenters closed their 1951 press conference with the observation that since this was the 300th Commencement, they wouldn't be a bit surprised if University bigwigs would walk away with the lion's share of the coveted sheepskins.