Free Enterprise

We have been brought up on free enterprise. We have been taught that it is free enterprise that keeps this country vigorous and robust and brings us all the good things of life at the lowest of all possible costs.

Therefore we were heartened by news of the price war in New York being waged by Roland H. Macy and Adam Gimbel, two free enterprisers from way back. We knew that those men were interested in making profits, and that to make profits they would cut prices to the bone to attract customers. And cut prices they did.

We were shocked when free enterprising manufacturers chastised Mr. Macy for upholding our free institutions by bringing goods to the customers at the lowest prices. We were even more shocked when Eversharp cut off its pens, pencils, and push-pull-click-click razors from Mr. Macy. This is no time to weaken free enterprise, perhaps to destroy it altogether. What could we find in its place to hold out to the emergent peoples of the world who seek resolute, dynamic leadership? We congratulate Mr. Macy and Mr. Gimbel on their courageous struggle and we implore the men of Eversharp not to vitiate that institution which has been the mainspring of American liberty, and which, if preserved in its present untarnished form, can be a source of inspiration to a world hungry for inspiration.