New Equipment Helps Wireless Club Communicate With Six Continents

'Hams' Multiply After Alumnus Donates Two Transmitters; Group Plans Broad Activities

By George S. Abrams

The "hams" at Harvard were thinking of disbanding the wireless club last year. They has no equipment, no room for meetings, no support from the University, and only five members. Luckily, they decided to stick it out another year.

A combination of good fortune, hard work, and unexpected aid has combined to convert the Harvard Wireless Club to one of the largest and most successful in college ranks today. Its call now reaches six continents and all 48 states.

The good fortune came early this fall. William L. Hampton '52, ex-head of the club, was operating his small set in Dunster House when he contacted a College graduate.

Within a short time Hampton's new friendship began to pay off for the Wireless Club. Over the last few months, the alumnus gave the club two complete transmitters (one 300 watt and the other 400), a receiver, and other necessary equipment. The main problem at this point was where to put it all.

With the advent of the Student Activities Center, this problem was solved. The club obtained two rooms on the third floor and permission to string up antennas on the roof. There were only two requirements; the club had to put in its own power line and all the wires on the roof at a cost of $150.

Faculty Support

Gordon M. Fair, Master of Dunster-House, and Harry R. Mimno, Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Physics, volunteered as advisers to the group, and Donald H. Menzel, professor of Astronomy, became the trustee.

This was the first connection the club has had with the University since 1946 when it was an official part of the Institute of Geographical Exploration. Then it was known as the Radio Society of the Institute, and all those who belonged were required to take one course in geographical exploration.

With the decline, of that department, the Wireless Club became homeless and slipped into virtual inactivity.

William K. Coburn, a former member of the Geographical Institute, made sure, however, that the club's call, W1AF, was kept alive by renewing the license whenever necessary. Thus it was easy for this year's group to meet federal regulations and re-establish its station.

Club Expands

With the necessary equipment, a place to put it, faculty support, and a renewed license, the club began to expand. From five, its membership grew to 34, with more joining almost every week.

It wasn't long before W1AF was contacting "hams" all over the world, and receiving in return countless station call cards. These cards, sent by each "ham" with his station call and other pertinent information printed on it, arrived from Portugal, Germany, Haiti, Tripoli, Italy, France, England, South Africa, the Aleutions, and every state in the Union. The cards are still arriving daily, sometimes as many as six in one mail delivery.

Many prospective club members knew little about such fundamentals as code and machine operation. Because of this, the 17 licensed members decided to teach anyone who was interested enough to pay the $2 membership fee everything a "ham" has to know. This instruction program will be expanded next year.

Aids Flood Victims

Plans for building a higher frequency range transmitter, providing better coverage of crew races in conjunction with the Crimson Key, and joining the civilian defense communication system of Cambridge are also in the offing for next year.

The group had already done some emergency work during floods, fires, and storms. When the telephone system in Vermont went on the blink this fall, a group of "ham" stations, including W1AF, relayed outgoing messages from the area.

Several members of the club have done similar work outside the regular jurisdiction of W1AF. Four members have their own stations and call numbers. Christopher W. Davis of the Divinity School is registered as W1JLW. James C. Hirschman '52, the present president of the club runs station W9UQD from his room in Adams C-54, while Hampton operates from Dunster under the call of W1SWQ. The only mobile set is operated by John F. Ashton '51 of Leverett, who is active in civilian defense work.

Wireless Chess

In a novel experiment last month the club attempted to stage a radio chess match between the Chess Club and New York University's chess team. Initial contact was made, but just as the match was about to begin, the New York Wireless Club went off the air for unexplained reasons. The College club hasn't been able to contact them since Despite this temporary set-back President Hirschman plans more attempts at wireless chess matches next year.

Striking evidence of the club's rapid comeback came out of a nationwide contest held last February. With teams from all over the country entered, the Wireless Club took fourth place and finished first among the groups entered east of the Mississippi. It contacted a total of 400 different stations in 38 states during the required 90 hour period.