Sears Roebuck Slashes Prices But Merchants in Square Remain Firm

Sears Roebuck announced drastic price reductions yesterday in much of their "fair-trade priced" merchandise, but few Square merchants are planning price cuts to meet the competition.

Sears announced that as a result; of the Supreme Court decision outlawing most fair-trade laws, it was lowering rates on a large part of its merchandise and rushing new catalogues into print. The court's decision has resulted in a full-scale price war in New York City during the past week with some merchants selling below cost.

The only Square merchants who indicated they would cut prices if others did were the Crimson Men's Shop and the Crimson Camera Exchange. The camera emporium said that they "may drop them if others do," but they hoped prices would maintain their present levels. The Men's Shop stated they would lower any fair-trade prices to meet Coop competition.

But the Square's largest department store would not predict any price changes. George E. Cole, General Manager of the Coop, would only say that the Society's prices will be "governed by circumstances." J. Press, on the other hand, definitely said that it would pay no attention to price cuts in the Square, and that it is not worried about the situation.

Claus Gelotte camera store could not foresee any drops in its prices, while Derby Jewelers refused any comment.

There have been indications that the New York price war is spreading to Boston. Sears Roebuck's announcement has given added impetus to such tendencies.