NCAA Sticks to TV Policy; Notre Dame Takes No Stand

Bingham Says College Will Play Games With Quakers Unless ECAC Asks Their Suspension

After an emergency session in New York, the National Collegiate Athletic Association's television committee yesterday tenaciously held on to its plan for a controlled experiment in televising college football games.

Tom Hamilton of the University of Pittsburgh said, "We have not given up our program because of Pennsylvania."

Meanwhile, the possibility of a nationwide split over the television question seemed to hinge on the decision of Frank Leahy at Notre Dame. If Notre Dame decides to ignore the N.C.A.A. experiment, it seems probable that many of the station's athletic powers would follow suit and thus end the reign of the N.C.A.A.

Last night Father John J. Cavanaugh, president of the university, indicated the Irish would postpone a decision about the television issue.

Dartmouth Won't Play

Dartmouth, however, took decisive action. Director of Athletics William H. McCarter said the Indians will not play Pennsylvania in football as long as it "defies the N.C.A.A. ban on television. It is possible, however, that the N.C.A.A. might lift the ban. But until then, Dartmouth will honor the television agreement."

The Indians are scheduled to meet the Quakers in Philadelphia October 6.

Harvard's stand on the controversial subject was made clear last night by Wil- liam J. Bingham '16, retiring Director of Athletics. Harvard plays Pennsylvania in Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference contests. If the league decides to drop Penn, then there'll be no problem. The question would come up at a meeting of the E.C.A.C. and so far, there's been none scheduled.

What would happen if Army violated the league ruling and played Penn? According to Bingham the Army contract includes a provision calling for accord on E.C.A.C. policies.

Schools such as Cornell, California, and Dartmouth which have games scheduled with Penn for next fall have not signed their contracts and seem reluctant to go along with the planned games as the situation now stands. On the other hand, Army and Wisconsin will probably play the Quakers whatever happens.

At Penn, Francis Murray, Director of Athletics, yesterday requested a hearing by the N.C.A.A. on its "hasty action" in placing Penn in bad standing because of its decision