Last Summer Conference Features Mobilization and National Security

Lodge Criticizes Slow U.S. Mobilization, Lauds Eisenhower

Four top government leaders tackled "Mobilization and National Security" Monday and Tuesday nights in the fourth and last Summer School conference in Sanders Theatre.

Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. '24 and Ambassador Ernest A. Gross '27 discussed foreign policy Monday; on Tuesday night Manly Fleischmann, Director of Defense Production Administration and the National Production Authority, and Herman Sommers, assistant to the Director of the Office of Economic Stabilization, spoke on the domestic aspects of mobilization.

Ambassador Gross strongly defended the United Nations, and declared: "The partners in the free world are those people who support the principles of the United Nations Charter and work loyally to carry out those principles."

He cited the "curious practice" of Russian leaders who attack U.N. decisions as "contrary to the Charter" and "illegal under the Charter" "as a tribute, unconscious or unwilling, to the moral power of the United Nations' principles" which apparently have an appeal even to those people behind the Iron Curtain.

Favors Men to Europe

Senator Lodge opened by paying high tribute to the job that General Eisenhower has been doing in Europe. He also gave credit to the European nations for the "astounding efforts" they are making for their own defense. He indicated his approval of President Truman's plans to send six divisions to Europe.

The junior Republican Senator from Massachusetts criticized the Administration for failing to act quickly enough in its mobilization program, which, he said, should have gathered full momentum upon the outbreak of hostilities in Korea.

Instead, Lodge said, "the Administration decided for one-half rearmament. Now we have about 20 percent of that one-half."

Must Shift Production

On Tuesday night, Fleischmann, making his first public appearance in his dual role as head of both production offices, analyzed the necessity of materials control for a successful defense program. He said that controls must extend beyond the 20 percent of the gross national product taken by the mobilization program.

Many essential consumer goods would not be produced, he said, if this 20 percent were merely cut off national production. In other words, Fleischmann said, domestic production must be shifted from non-essential to essential consumer goods.

Fleischmann indicated he felt his agencies possess enough power for their job, legislation the Office of Economic Stabilization must enforce. He said present but Sommers was not satisfied with the laws will force at least a five to seven percent price increase within the next year.

Sommers lashed out at pressure groups and at Congressmen susceptible to those groups for passing a law which makes price increases imperative.

10 Billion Not Enough

In order to decrease inflationary pressure, Sommers declared taxes must be 000 asked by President Truman, and far raised--probably beyond the $10,000,000, beyond the $4,000,000,000 Congress is likely to pass.

Commentators on Monday night were author James Burnham and visiting professor Hans Morgenthan. Professor of Economics Wassily W. Leontief and Professor of Law Arthur E. Sutherland commented on Tuesday night's discussion.

Eric A. Johnston, Director of the Office of Economic Stabilization, was expected to speak Tuesday night, but had to cancel his appearance.