Red Cross Seeks Special Funds for Flood Victims in Emergency Drive

Volunteers Needed to Work as Solicitors

Plans for an emergency Summer School Red Cross drive took rapid shape yesterday afternoon in response to growing estimates received by the Cambridge ARC Chapter earlier in the day of desperate need in the midwestern flood areas.

Four midwestern students, two from Harvard and two from M.I.T., convened in the office of Mrs. Marion Crawford Adams, Cambridge executive director, to assist in publicizing the drive.

Both Midwest Teachers

Mrs. Adams told them that 45,880 families had been affected in the Kansas-Missouri area, and that of these 17,075 are completely dependent on the Red Cross for rehabilitation of their devastated homes and possessions. Representing the Summer School were Miss Dorothy Chestnut of Springfield, Mo., and Aaron Butler of Pittsburg, Kan., both of them teachers in the winter near stricken sectors.

Later in the day Alan K. Campbell, assistant director of the Summer School, issued a call for all those interested in doing volunteer soliciting to sign up with Sue Davis, secretary, in 1 Sever Hall. No quota has been set for the school as a whole, although the original Cambridge goal of $7,000 was doubled yesterday as a result of special appeals from Red Cross officials in Wyandotte and Jackson counties, Kan.

Faculty Also Asked

Until solicitation gets under way, or if the number of volunteers is too small to reach everyone, Campbell added, contributions can also be left with Miss Davis: