All Freshmen Get Yard Rooms; 'Cliffe Jammed

150 First Year Men Will Commute; 179 Of '54 in Outhouses

Every freshman who wants one can have a cozy room in the Yard this fall.

That means 950 men will live within its fences this year despite the fact that more first year men arrived than the Admissions Office anticipated.

One hundred and fifty freshmen who will commute made the rooming problem simple this season. In past years men lived barrack style on the floor of the Indoor Athletic Building while University Hall sweated to find niches for them.

Outhouses Open

Radcliffe solved its room problem less handily. Burdened with the largest freshman class it ever admitted, the Cliffe administration had to keep all its outhouses (off campus houses) open despite earlier protestations that it intended to close them. Relatively few students within 40 miles of the Radcliffe Yard gained any sort of accommodation at the Annex at all. Officials promise to make room for as many as they can or to at least rotate the commuters who stay in dormitories.

175 Left Out

About 175 Harvard upperclassmen will be unhappy. House masters managed to absorb about 105 of the 279 displaced students of last June but the remaining sophomores will have to take residence In Claverly or Apley. Dudley has been turned over to the Russian Research Center and other administrative offices.