Police Arrest Law Student As Hoop Fixer

By Michael J. Halberstam

Saul Feinberg, second-year law student, will not be among those registering at the Law School this week. Accused of conspiring to fix a Madison Square Garden basketball game, he is free on $10,000 bail, and awaiting trial this fall in New York's Court of General Sessions.

Feinberg and three others have been indicted for attempting to regulate the score of the Bradley University-Bowling Green game on March 19, 1919. Feinberg was arrested in the New York home of a relative on August 2.

A graduate of New York University and an Air Corps veteran, Feinberg was in good academic standing at the end of his second year in June, according to Law School officials. Last year he lived at 53 Wendell Street.

Law students who knew the accused here in Cambridge told the CRIMSON that he often talked knowingly of the series of basketball scandals that burst into the open last winter. He frequently hinted that he knew more about the fixes than the police.

"Talked Big"

At the time of Feinberg's arrest a classmate called him, "The sort of guy who likes to talk big about his illegal deals and boast of his underworld friends. I considered him just a talker."

Three other men were arrested with Feinberg, all friends of his at Samuel Tilden High School in Brooklyn.

Feinberg is alleged to have taken a room in the Paramount Hotel where the Bradley team was living during its stay in New York, and, posing as a Camden. N. J. businessman, made contact with some of the players.

Three Bradley players, all-American Gene Melchiorre, Gene Mann, and Mike Chianakas, have been indicted for agreeing to regulate the score so that Bradley lost by seven or more points.

The Bowling Green game was the consolation round of the 1949 National Invitation Tournament. Bradley was trailing by seven points in the last minute of play when a Bradley substitute, who was not in on the fix, was sent in.

The substitute sank a basket, making the final score 82 to 77. Bradley lost by less than seven points, and consequently the players were given only $75 each.