Lowenstein's Leg Can Still Bring Deferment

Football captain Carroll Lowenstein's leg, broken in practice last spring, is in bad enough shape to warrant deferment from the draft, one of the doctors attendant upon the team reported yesterday.

"His leg will not be right for another six months, and we (the doctors) don't feel he should go," the Dillon medical examiner continued. 'He has to have special treatment for it every day--something he would not receive in the army. But, the way public opinion reacts in such a case, they'll probably take him anyway."

The doctor went on to explain that although Lowenstein can play football without danger--he is no more in danger of breaking his ankle again than is any other player in a scrimmage--it is still a source of constant irritation to the diminutive captain, and would certainly be so in basic training.

"I'm Ready to Go"

Lowenstein admitted yesterday afternoon that he had received his induction notice last Friday, and would report next Wednesday. "I never complained about my ankle to anyone," he said. "I'm ready to go next Wednesday, if they want me."

At the same time, Coach Lloyd Jordan said, "Lowenstein's ankle isn't good, and he has had groin pulls, so he's had trouble getting into shape this season."

The first string tailback, according to Jordan, will see a normal amount of action this weekend against Holy Cross.

Only two days ago Jordan had told the CRIMSON that there was, as far as he knew, no reason to expect Lowenstein to be drafted, any more than any other student.

If the draft forces Lowenstein to retire from football, the question of an acting captain must be settled immediately by Jordan.