Inquisition, 1951

Speaking to the McCarran Committee, a Northwestern University professor declared a few days ago that three Harvard teachers advocated "un-American views" in support of Communist China and that they led an "un-American block" of experts at a State Department meeting.

These accusations against Professors Emerson, Fair-bank, and Reischauer are like many of the charges directed against many perfectly loyal citizens during the past few years. They are very vague, very general, and cannot be pinned down to answerable points. They are couched in the peculiar terminology that has become a trademark of the post-war inquisition.

Terrible as it might be, however, the nation now seems used to this type of testimony, as absurd and unfair as the accusations are. The country does not expect the Committee to call the maligned teachers to testify. Nor does it expect to see any actual criminal charges brought against the accused. Although wise thinkers and reputable jurists alike have deplored this ritual, we are no longer surprised when the ceremony goes on.

With this week's news, however, it is apparent that the country is being taught one further step. Professor Emerson pointed out in his letter to Senator McCarran that Congressional records would show the professor completely innocent of the charges made against him. He ha not even attended the meeting in question. The action of the Committee is something more than legislative irresponsibility in this case.

These representatives are perfectly aware that this type of testimony can wreck a man's name and career, even if it is later refuted. They have had several years of experience dealing with like situations. By allowing the accusations to go on record without immediate challenge they took a partial stand where they should have been impartial.

It seems useless to point out that this method of purge closely parallels the system of the totalitarian nation we consider an enemy. This and other facts--about this trend destroying the very ideals we are supposedly trying to save--all that has been repeated over and over again.

The only and best answer for the present is the one given by the three professors: fight back. The scholars must go on teaching, arguing, and researching. Holders of presently unpopular views must maintain their advocacy regardless of the environment of fear. They must teach the country to see the awful structure we are now building up, so that we might begin pulling it down again--all the committees, investigations, and inquisitions--to let the air and light of freedom in once again.