Elis Ask Earlier Timing for June Baseball, Rowing

Yale has been petitioning the University for years to hold the Yale crew race and Yale baseball game earlier in June, the CRIMSON learned this week from athletic director Thomas D. Bolles and his Yale opposite Robert Hall. But the University cannot make the switch.

The Elis would like the contests earlier because their academic year ends almost two weeks before Harvard's. For years, they claim, the events haven't been near their commencements and Yale representation at them has been skimpy.

Thus far, however, the University has refused to change its schedule so that examinations and commencement come earlier. The administration explains that it would be happy to start college sooner so that it could finish in the first weeks of June, but the Law School finishes late despite an early start in September.

If the Law School started earlier by two weeks, the current gap between Harvard and Yale closings, it would begin sessions about a day after Labor Day, too early for most students. Since a commencement has to coincide approximately with the endings of all the divisions of the University, adjustment of the schedule difficulty is almost impossible.