Douglas Finds Ethics Higher in Govt. Than in Business, Despite Scandals

Senator Meets the Press

Senator Paul Douglas, here to deliver the Godkin Lectures, told a press conference yesterday that he is still "very receptive" to the idea of running General Dwight D. Eisenhower for President on the Democratic ticket. "I hope Eisenhower is not irremediably Republican," the Illinois legislator said.

If President Truman bows out of the race and Eisenhower should prove to be unavailable, Douglas feels the Democratic nomination would be a tossup between Tennessee's Senator Kefauver, whom he termed "very splendidly qualified for the Presidency," and Supreme Court Chief Justice Fred Vinson. He himself reiterated his oft-stated lack of Presidential ambitions. "No man," he said, "has ever declined a job more frequently that has never been offered him than I have."

It is not at all certain that Eisenhower can get the Republican nomination, Douglas stated. He added that by convention time the Republicans might feel confident enough of victory to pick Senator Taft, who is less of a vote-getter but more in favor with the party's leaders than the General.

If he is nominated by the G.O.P., however, Douglas predicted that, "barring a miracle, Eisenhower will be elected by an overwhelming number of votes."