Brown Offers Garden Ice if Arena Closes

Garden Head Says Harvard to Play There 'As Long as I An The Corporation's President'

Walter Brown, president of the Garden-Arena Corporation, last night assured the hockey team of skating ice in the Boston Garden if the Boston Arena is forced to close down next season. "As long as I am president, Harvard will be welcome in the Garden," he declared.

Brown reiterated his statement of last month that the corporation will be unable to continue to underwrite the heavy losses which it is taking on school and college hockey. He added that he know of no negotiations for the sale of the Arena, denying rumors that local television companies had indicated a desire to purchase it.

The Metropolitan District Commission last month announced that through State Representative Charles Patrone that it was interested in purchasing the Arena. The proposal was specifically aimed an saving Eastern Massachusetts high school hockey, but also included provisions to college hockey. Patrons last night stated that a bill authorizing the M.D.G. to purchase the Arena is scheduled to have a public hearing before the Committee or Metropolitan Affairs on January 21. He said that he fully expected that the bill would pass.

Brown stated that if the Arena had to close next year attempt would be made be accommodate as many of the college and high school teams now playing in the Arena at the Garden. Due to the full schedule at the Garden, practice time would have to be drastically shortened. Both the Ivy and Pentagonal leagues now play their local hockey contests at the Arena.