CCA Split Up On Atkinson For Manager

Differences Should Be Ended In Next Session: Tax Issues, Personalities Caused Dissent

Cambridge Civic Association city councillors remained split last night on the reappointment of City Manager John B. Atkinson after failing the second attempt on Monday to elect him for another four-year term.

But according to informed sources within the C.C.A., the difference between the Councillors will be overcome soon, possibly in time for the Council meeting Monday. Reportedly, the dissenters in the C.C.A. cannot find anyone qualified to replace Atkinson.

Fault Found with Manager

This time, however, it is reported that three councillors within the Civic Association's ranks are displeased with some of the City Manager's actions. The councillors, elected on a non-partisan, reform platform, believe that Atkinson has failed to carry through important programs, probably because Atkinson has felt that by submitting to the demands, he would cause the tax rate to climb.

According to a non-C.C.A. member of the Council the dispute goes beyond more displeasure at actions, but verges on personal hostility. Until the Council can agree on either reappointment or a successor. Atkinson will remain in office.

Atkinson, who received an honorary Master of Arts degree last Commencement, has been the City's Manager since the inauguration of Plan E.