Official Lauds NCAA Action

W. Henry Johnston, director of Athletic Publicity, predicted that the future of sports would be considerably brightened by the recent actions of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and the college presidents.

Johnston told 100 New England members of the American College Public Relations Association that "the present turmoil may bring about what should have happened a long time ago." Johnston added that he felt the presidents meant business in enforcing reforms which they formulated to deemphasize commercialism.

Johnston then lashed out at careless administrations, asserting that they have dealt the grand program of Intercollegiate athletics a staggering blow. He termed his laziness comparable to "parents who don't know what their children are up to."

Scoffing at the comparison between the decline of honesty in general, and the its decline in the sports world. Johnston stated that it might be true, but need not be an excuse.

Johnston's remarks followed those of many sports figures who have lauded the recent drive against "bigism" in college athletics.