Countrywide Poll Says Students Believe Football Is Overstressed

College students all over the country have joined the rising movement against football over-emphasis, according to a poll released recently by the Associated Collegiate Press. Fifty-three percent of over 3,000 students in 63 colleges and universities answered "Yes" to the ACP question. "Do you feel that football at most colleges is over emphasized?"

The poll, taken in Western colleges, also revealed that only five percent of the students felt that football was under-emphasized, 38 percent thought it was "just about right," while four percent had no opinion.

The farther along a student had progressed in his education, the more he thought football was over-emphasized. Seventy-three percent of the graduate students polled felt there was too much stress on football, while only 43 percent of the freshman hold this opinion.

Sportswriters were blamed for the over-emphasis by some students, while others felt the public was at fault for "rating colleges according to sports prestige."

The poll also showed that 53 percent of the students felt that organized football was loss necessary to the college than the history department. Six percent said it was more necessary, 36 felt it was as necessary, and five percent had no opinion.

Approximately the same figures were returned from a poll rating football with the zoology department.