CCA Split Delays Vote on Atkinson For City Manager

Cambridge officials see little hope of reappointing present City Manager John B. Atkinson within the next week--if at all.

The officials based their belief on the fact that the appointment has caused a marked split within the ranks of the Cambridge Civic Association, a non-partisan, reform organization that has consistently backed Atkinson. The C.C.A. now controls the council majority.

The CRIMSON learned from reliable sources yesterday that the failure to act on the Atkinson case was largely the fault of former. Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 and present Mayor Joseph E. Deoglielmo '29. Both men, it is understood have been dissatisfied with some of Atkinson's actions over the past year.

Pre and Con

The other three C.C.A. members, Hyman Pill, Chester A. Higley, and W. Donnison Swan '19, wish to see Atkinson reappointed. One independent Councillor, John W. Lynch, also has supported him publically.

Three other independents, John J. Foley, Edward A. Sullivan, and Francis L. Sennott dislike Atkinson. Reportedly, Foley is conducting a movement to enlist Karl Compton, president of M.I.T., as his successor.

The exact reasons for Crane's and Degugllelmo's dissatisfaction could not be learned, but it is believed that Atkinson's fiscal policy is a strong factor in the discontent.

The Council's dilemma stems from the fact that while the C.C.A. is not sure it wants Atkinson back, neither it nor the Independents can agree on a successor.