Acknowledgements

During the past year, the caretakers of this column have attempted to right wrongs, expose malfeasance, suggest reforms, edify their readers, and write an editorial for every paper. They have succeeded in their last aim to the utmost degree, often at the expense of gross distortion of the other aims. But, as the alert reader may have noticed, certain outside individuals and groups have been constantly at work, often unwillingly, always unwittingly, to provide continuity in the editorial page. It is to those individuals and groups that out thanks must go in the last editorial of this term.

If the following list is incomplete, we apologize to anyone who is left out. First our thanks to the Faculty Committee on Undergraduate Activities, for steadfastly refusing to alter the philosophy of its rules for organizations. To the Housemasters, and later to Dean Bender, for clinging to the seven o'clock deadline on women guests. To the Republican party's experts on the Far East for their quixotic, bombastic, and highly vulnerable songs of praise to the Formosan leader, Chiang Kai-shek. To the dependable legislators of Massachusetts, for their yearly playful attempts to legislate Communism out of people's minds. To Coach Loyld Jordan, for repeated efforts to clarify his position on why big football is good football. To the Cambridge police, for their absurd insistence on towing away student's cars which sit quietly on the streets, hurting nobody. To Congress, for passing piecemeal draft legislation and keeping college students in a state of perpetual confusion and uncertainty. And, finally, to Allen Zoll, William F. Buckley, and all their friends and associates who are dedicated to the proposition that American universities are the fountainheads of revolution.

In our treatment of these people, it may not always have been apparent that we viewed them as benefactors. They may have seemed "straw men," or something equally derogatory. But it doesn't really matter how roughly we treat them. If they are broken in handling, we have faith that new people will arise to take their place, for the world that runs out of editorial topics will be a dull one indeed.