Cherington Switches Vote From Eisenhower to Adlai

By William M. Beecher

Charles R. Cherington '35, associate professor of Government, formerly a staunch Eisenhower backer, has decided to vote for Adlai Stevenson in the impending presidential election, he revealed yesterday.

Explaining his move, Cherington emphasized what he called the great threat the increasingly influential Republican reactionaries pose to our "quasi-democratic" society.

"I still am a great admirer of Eisenhower," Cherington said, "but he has shown alarming tendencies to be surrounded by and apparently influenced by the reactionary wing of the Republican party."

Labelling Nixen "a McCarthy with a veneer," Cherington continued, "He is the front guy, in a sense, for McCarthy and the other mid-Western super-Rotarian-reactionaries in the party.

"Behind getting Communists out of public office there is an undercurrent of country club violence." After trying to root out Reds, he said, they will next "turn to anti-semitism, kicking around school teachers, and purging the libraries."

"The real trouble with reactionaries is that they think they're better than other people because they're richer. In my judgment, this type of view in a quasidemocratic society is a capital offense."

Ike No Disaster

Cherington hastened to add he was not "violently" pro-Stevenson, and that it certainly won't be a disaster to the country if Eisenhower wins the presidency.

"Stevenson has the kind of intelligence and flexibility, combined with character, to do the job most effectively," he declared. The Illinois governor has had the background in domestic politics and administration to rely on his own opinions and not be misled by evil interests.

"On the crucial issues, Stevenson has been right," Cherington said. "He's right on tidelands oil. If these resources are turned over to a state like Louisiana, they'll be raped. He's faced up to civil rights more forthrightly than Ike has."

"Im going to vote the straight Republican ticket, except Ike."

Lodge a Fine Liberal

Turning his attention to Massachusetts state politics, he said that Senator Lodge is a fine liberal and an experienced senator, whereas "Kennedy is at heart an isolationist; a rich, handsome kid."

GOP gubernatorial candidate Christian Herter he described as a "wise, conservative gentleman and scholar. Dever is a plain front man for a bunch of thugs and robbers."