Columbia Dean Slaps CRIMSON; Would Not Swap Lion '56 for Harvard Upperclassmen

Columbia Dean Lawrence H. Chamberlain sharply attacked the CRIMSON late last week for its October 4th full-page article on the college, claiming it "mis-interprets and misunderstands Columbia completely."

Addressing some 650 men at a freshman orientation meeting, Chamberlain added. "I wouldn't trade the Freshman Class of 1952 for the last three classes at Harvard." Referring to the CRIMSON's statement that more than half of Columbia's students come from New York City, and that more than one-quarter are commuters, Chamberlain said the economic difficulties involved in traveling across the country to go to Columbia were considerable.

Chamberlain continued. "I don't think that there is any other freshman year in the United States that can hold a candle to the quality and demands of the freshman year at Columbia College."

The Spectator also took offense at the CRIMSON article. The newsapper stated editorially, "The report abounds with snobbish depreciations of Columbia University. . . We wish to petition Harvard not to expel us from the Ivy League."