Council Hears Rudolph Lash Charities Vote

Lloyd I. Rudolph '48, teaching fellow in Government, last night accused the Student Council of eliminating the Experiment in International Living from the Combined Charities list without adequate basis for the decision.

He found support from Council member John Tulenko '54, who admitted some Councilmen had been prejudiced against the Experiment when they voted it down 7-3-3 at last Monday's meeting. He said he considered the Council's action partly a "public relations" move to placate undergraduates who felt there were too many Experiment members on the Charities Committee.

In his prepared statement, Rudolph said "the decisions which resulted in the elimination of the Experiment from the Combined Charities Committee list were made without due regard for the facts and in an atmosphere prejudicial to the Experiment."

Before Rudolph, who is vice-president of the Experiment Association, had read his prepared statement, Council President Richard E. Johnson '53 implied the charities issue could not be reopened by saying the Charities cards have already gone to press.

Johnson reiterated his opinion that the Council's straw vote, which recommended the removal of the Experiment from the card, did not bind the Charities Committee, which is Council-appointed, to its concurring decision.

Johnson said another factor which helped to put the Experiment off the list was the Council's decision to equalize the ratio between national and international charities appearing on the list.