BOW-WOW-WOW

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Gentlement, all my gentle dreams, so carefully nurtured through four years of college newspaper work, were brutally shattered by this morning's issue of the Harvard CRIMSON.

The East's self-styled paragon of accuracy of the college dailies had the colossal effrontery to label its sister publication in New Haven a "self-styled 'Liberal Republican' newspaper."

For the record, I submit the following data:

1) The Yale Daily News never self-styles itself anything. It submits styling of any and all sorts to its readers alone.

2) Only one year since 1948 has the News been Republican at all, and that under the reign of book-writing, crusade-leading William F. Buckley, Jr. "Liberal Republican" applied to Bill Buckley is a contradiction in terms.

3) In 1950's gubernatorial and senatorial campaign in Connecticut, the News threw its admittedly inconclusive support behind Bowles, Benton, and McMahon all Democrats.

4) In New Have's 1951 mayorial campaign, the News's feathery weight was thrown behind the Democratic candidate.

5) In the first month of 1952, the News ran a three-part editorial series titled "The Nation's President," fervently backing the record of Harry S. Truman.

True Liberal Republicans must today be joining in the chorus of quiet tut tuts from the throats of harassed News editors of the past three years. Who have stood shoulder to shoulder with their brethren in Cambridge in the battle to enlighten their less progressive campusmates. John Steadman 1L   ex-Chairman   Yale Dally News

The CRIMSON appreciates the concern of former OCP chairman Steadman. The "Liberal Republican" tag was applied to the News by one of its present editors who was then quoted by the Associated Press. No libel was intended by the CRIMSON.--Ed.