School Committee Chairman Supports Dever

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In recent weeks, some newspapers, including the CRIMSON, have attacked the administration of Governor Paul A. Dever. From my reading of those items, it would appear that they were based not on fact, but rather on misconception of the truth or prejudiced partisanship. I am sure that the CRIMSON does not wish to be a party to either, and therefore I want to point out the following facts.

There have been many charges concerning the alleged unreasonable cost of the Massachusetts Road Building Program. In those charges, statistics obtained from the United States Bureau of Public Roads, were cited by those who claimed that Massachusetts road costs were excessive. You and I know that statistics can be used or abused too frequently to prove or disprove any particular point. With reference to these statistics and the criticism based thereon, let me quote a sentence from a letter written to Commissioner Callahan of the Massachusetts Department of Public Works by United States Commissioner of Public Roads, Thomas MacDonald, "I regret very much the improper use of our published statistics in this instance."

Record of Accomplishment

Criticism of Governor Dever's administration, with the usual political generalities, has come from those who seem loathe to examine his record of accomplishment. It is understandable that his opponents do not wish to admit that since Governor Dever assumed leadership almost thirteen thousand veterans housing units have been built. Nor do they wish to acknowledge that the greatly overcrowded, understaffed hospitals have become agencies of hope by the addition, under Dever's administration, of six thousand new hospital beds, increased and more efficient personnel and the introduction of the best modern medical facilities and methods. They are reluctant to cite these words of former Mental Health Commissioner Dr. Clifton T. Perkins--(incidentally a Republican)-- "Governor Dever did more in one year in the field of mental health than other governors in a hundred years."

Your unfair editorial pictures Dever turning his back and whimpering "What can I do" when Corrections Commissioner MacDowell leveled 27 complaints against Dr. VanWaters, superintendent of a penal institution. The truth remains that the charges against Dr. VanWaters were filed before Dever took office. The truth remains that Dever acted immediately, appointing a three man panel to hear the case. The truth remains that one of the panel was Dean of the Harvard Law School and that the panel unanimously recommended Dr. VanWaters' reinstatement and the truth remains that immediately thereafter Corrections Commissioner MacDowell asked for and was granted his retirement.

Progressives Criticized

History bears witness to the fact that progressives have always been criticized and damned by the forces of reaction and established interest. Yet during Governor Dever's two terms industrial production has steadily risen, industries and capital investments have increased by 11%, per capita income soared 20% and we have increased jobs by 119,000. Industry has benefited and labor has benefited.

Much more could be written factually, truthfully and objectively concerning the great contribution of Paul A. Dever to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. However, I do not believe it will be necessary to give you further evidence. I am sure that the CRIMSON does not wish to misstate any facts. Harvard men have always sought the truth. May I suggest that you examine the record where you will see the proof of all that has been written above and of many other issues which have fortunately been distorted. Isadore H. Y. Muchnick '28   Chr'm., Boston School Comm.