Young Democrats Discuss 'Misplaced' Funds Tonight

More than 150 Young Democrats are expected to attend the club's election meeting in Winthrop Junior Common Room at 8 p.m. tonight, when President Stanley E. Tobin '53 plans to being up the issue of alleged "illegal action" on the part of two executives.

Tobin accused Vice-President George F. Baum, Jr. '55 and Treasurer James C. Currey, Jr. '52 1L Sunday of "spending club funds without the knowledge or approval of the executive committee," as required by the H.Y.D. constitution.

The pair vigorously denied the charges Monday, and hurled back accusations of "conspiracy" and "falsifying facts" at Tobin.

Tobin said last night he does "not think Baum was in on the plot to destroy the work of 150 sincere Democrats. I merely think he was duped."

Currey charged Tobin with keeping the constitution, which Tobin claims he violated, "unavailable to the rest of the executive board." Tobin said he had 150 copies mimeographed.

Disagreement on Facts

Neither party could agree on what the facts were, and as no minutes exist of the executive board votes that Tobin bases his statements on, he will bring the issue before the members at this evening's meeting. He would not guess what action the group may take. Under the constitution, violation of any of its articles is ground for removal of an officer or suspension of a member.

Two members of the club, Lewis L. Smith '54 and Gerald M. Freed '52, said yesterday, "The issue is clear and simple. The H.Y.D. constitution explicitly states that prior approval of the president is required for all club expenditures. Certain individuals spent approximately $60 of club funds without this authorization."

The money went for a political rally Friday night, beer, an advertisement in the CRIMSON for the affair, and publication of more than 500 "Handbooks for Action," described as "scurrilous" and a "parody of the Democratic campaign" by club members.