IMPLICATION'S JAWS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We read with some disappointment and chagrin the CRIMSON's deprecatory comments on the new motion picture "Lady of Fatima". Notwithstanding the fact that so many of the current movies make use of "gimmicks" and showy scenes, we nevertheless could not help feeling that the blast was too strong.

Certainly the open-minded CRIMSON with its controversial but commendable stand on Academic Freedom is not contemplating a foray into the jaws of Religious Bigotry? The evidence is scanty but the implications were there. Leo V. Zavatone '56   Joe Cronin '56

The review neither contained nor implied criticism of events at Fatima, or of any religious beliefs. Instead, it condemned the producers of this film for debasing a sensitive religious theme into an irreligious sideshow. Comparisons between the event and its movie facsimile were based on information from "The National Catholic Almanac 1951" pp. 298-299.

It is easy to employ a term like "religious bigotry" without mentioning references; next time, you might sustain the charge with some evidence.--W.A.M.B.