Professors Start Appeal For McCarthy's Defeat

Jenner Also Target In Plea for Decency

Over 5,000 copies of a letter, signed by three faculty members, asking for funds to defeat Senators McCarthy and Jenner were mailed from Cambridge to all parts of the nation last night.

Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, Arthur M. Schlesinger Sr., Francis Lee Higgenson Professor of History, and Mark A. DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law signed the "1952 Civil Liberties Appeal" to finance opposition to what they termed "the greatest menace the American liberal tradition has faced in our lifetime."

Proceeds to Fairchild

Proceeds from the appeal will go to Thomas E. Fairchild, who is running against McCarthy for the Senate in Wisconsin; Henry F. Schricker, Governor of Indiana and Jonner's opponent; and Sen. William Benton, up for reelection in Connecticut. Bonton has urged McCarthy's expulsion from the Senate.

Lloyd I. Rudolph '48, teaching fellow in Government, is administering the Appeal, assisted by members of the Liberal Union and Radcliffe Students for Democratic Action. Rudolph said last night he expects to dispatch 20,000 letters in all, mostly to faculty members of the nation's universities.

A Tragic Defeat

Terming McCarthyism "a perversion of political decency," the professors state that "the reelection of McCarthy would be a major and tragic defeat for everything docent Americans have believed in since the founding of the Republic."

The letter said, however, that Fairchild had "a better than even chance of defeating McCarthy." Pointing to the fact that Fairchild is "the biggest Democratic vote-getter in Wisconsin history," the professors expressed the belief that with the expected half million increase in the November vote over the total of the September primaries, two third of which consistently goes Democratic, Fairchild is "by no means in the hopeless position which many observers suppose."