CRITICISED FRIENDLY ATTITUDE ONLY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In an article appearing in your issue of November 6, 1952, about my experiences with the Peron regime, there is one mistaken reference that certainly needs rectification. Explaining the reasons why my citizenship was revoked by the rubber-stamp Peronista congressional majority in June, 1951, your reporter says that I "urged the United States intervene and oust Peron." This statement is entirely false. I never urged any country to intervene to oust Peron, since that is--and should be--the business of the Argentine people exclusively. In fact, it was only the Peronista press--which has slandered me in every conceivable way--that attributed to me such a proposal.

What I did do, was to criticize the friendly attitude of the Democratic governments--including the United States--toward the Peron dictatorship which was and still in economy. I particularly referred in my criticism to a "credit" of 125 million dollars extended in 1950 by the U.S. Export-Import Bank to the Argentine government in order to rescue it from its calamitous financial condition. But I never exhorted anybody but the Argentines themselves to stand up and solve our Argentine problem.

This, I hope, will serve to clarify another remark found in the sub-title of the story--that could be mistakenly interpreted by the reader: my contention that American policy has not been "tough enough." that "it appeases Argentina."

As I said, I am strongly against any type of active foreign intervention in Argentine affairs. But I claim that it cannot give much encouragement to the Argentine Democratic masses who are struggling for their liberation to see the incredible weakness of the Democratic nations which have not only tried for a long time to appease and to please Peron, but have gone so far as to tolerate patiently all the insults and the hysterical attacks directed against them by the Dictator. Walter M. Beveraggi-Allende