College May Cut Board Rates Before Next Term

Move Depends Upon Food Price Change

Student board rates may be lowered within the next few months if food prices drop, Edward R. Reynolds '15, Administrative vice-President, said yesterday.

But he added, "We'll have to see how the Dining Halls fare financially during the fall term. If prices fall in the next few weeks, the College will reduce board rates."

According to the College's Financial Report for 1951-52, released Friday by Reynolds and Paul C. Cabot '21, Treasurer of the College, the Dining Halls showed a surplus of $36,906.06 for the year. For 1950-51, however, they fell $76,000 into the red. During the preceding year, the Dining Halls accumulated a surplus of $17,000.

William A. Heaman, manager of the Dining Halls Department, stated last year's surplus may be largely explained by student cooperation in a campaign to eliminate food wastage. The campaign was initiated last spring, when board rates were hiked from $14 to to $14.50 per week.

Cost-Conscious

"Students are more cost-conscious than they were," Heaman said. "For this son, we have been able to keep expenses down. After all, they used to take five or six glasses of milk at each meal..."

Heaman strongly denied the quality of food has deteriorated so that expenses could be kept as low s possible. "The quality of the food has not changed a bit. Remember, when you're serving three meals a day for approximately 200 days, some are bound to be expensive and some cheap as far as quality is concerned."

Reynolds said the Dining Halls Department did a good job last year in selection of foods.

Equipment Expenses Down

Expenses for equipment decreased over $31,000 n the last year, and now amount to $1,600,000. This category includes food purchases.

Heaman refused to comment on the suggestion that expenses might have been cut by decreasing the number of employees in the Dining Halls. While large cost-of-living wage increases were granted to all employees, the Dining Halls showed a slight $30,000 expenditures.

Reynolds said, "We're not now about the Dining Halls. Last year a this time, we were worried as the devil." At this time last year, rising

Equipment Expenses Down

Equipment Expenses Down