Crimson Battles Once Defeated Eli Jayvees on Near-Even Terms

Yale's once-beaten junior varsity eleven meets the Crimson squad on near-even odds at 2 p.m. today on the Junior Varsity Field.

On the basis of comparative scores, Yale ranks as a slight favorite. While the Crimson lost, 7 to 6, to Dartmouth, the Elis edged the Indians. The only other common opponent was Princeton: the Crimson was defeated by the Tigers, 9 to 0, and Yale lost by an eight-point margin.

Before losing to Princeton, 14 to 6, the Elis scored four consecutive victories--over New Britain State Teachers, Cornell, Army, and Dartmouth. Norm Shepard's squad, after gaining easy victories over Nichols Jr. College and Dean Academy, has lost consecutively to the Dartmouth and Princeton jayvees.

Both squads will use the T-formation on the offense. Shepard employed it exclusively two weeks ago against the Tigers, and will probably junk his three-team system for this contest.

The Crimson jayvees will line up with Wally Bregman and Dave Silverman at ends, Pete Maloney and Baird Pfahl at guards, Tony Caimi and Herb Grossman at tackles, Captain Buzz Vonderlage at center, Joe Conzelman or Walt Greeley at quarterback, Dinney Finney and Bob Alpert at halfbacks, and Lee Markov in the fullback post.

Walter Greeley will probably spell Conzelman at quarterback. The two have alternated all year--both against the varsity in practice and in the regular games. Both are fair signal callers and better than average passers--the main difference stems from class; Greeley is a senior, Conzelman a sophomore.