Korean Vet Enrollment Will Top 1000 in '53-'54

Tougher Admission Requirements Seen

Returning Korea servicemen will swell the number of veterans in the University to more than a thousand next year for the first time since 1949, the Committee on Veteran Affairs reported yesterday.

Members of the committee estimated the number of Korea vets next year would fall between 700 and 1700. The report, sent to Provost Buck, mentioned 1300 as a possible inclusive figure, 1000 of those veterans from Korea.

Wilbur J. Bender '27, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aids, said the competition for admittance into the class of '57 will undoubtedly be tougher because of the G.I. influx. "But," he said, "we'll probably have no special policy on veteran admissions this year."

Lone-Term Rise

Miss Lee Smith, Councillor for Veterans, said yesterday the number of veterans expected next year represents the beginnings of a long-term rise. The three members of the committee, John U. Monro '35, chairman, Howard M. smith, Comptroller of the University, and Louis A. Toepfer, Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Law, agreed that the heavy veteran registration will begin with 1954, if present world conditions continue.

650 veterans are currently enrolled in the University, but only 78 of those are Korea G.I.'s. The laregst number of Korea veterans, 28, are in the Law School, with 18 in the Business School of Arts and Sciences. 14 Korea veterans are attending the College.

Dean Toepfer commented that the predominance of Korea vets in the Law School this year is "only coincidental." All the committeemen agreed, however, that the College will probably be less affected by the influx than will the graduate schools.