Faculty Favors General By 81 Votes in Canvass

Total Student-Professor Balloting Shows Stevenson University Favorite, 2616-2473

By Erik Amfitheatrof

The Harvard faculty likes Ike by more than 4 to 3.

In response to a CRIMSON poll the permanent faculty members registered 379 votes for the Republican candidate to 298 for Governor Adlai E. Stevenson.

The effect of the 81-vote margin becomes even greater when a surprising 98 percent of the General's backers indicated they will go to the polls Tuesday.

Of those who favor Stevenson, 275 or 92%, will vote for the Democratic candidate in the national election.

Added to the combined all-University and Radcliffe totals, the faculty poll gives Stevenson an edge of 143 votes, 2616 to 2473. In all, 1073 Radcliffe and University faculty and students will vote for Stevenson Tuesday, with 49 less, or 1024, voting for the General.

Dewey in 1948

In 1948, Governor Thomas E. Dewey buried President Truman under a perfect 4 to 1 return, with 368 faculty members going Republican and only 92 backing the incumbent.

More votes went to third-party candidates in '48. Norman Thomas, Socialist candidate, polled 20, while 23 swung to Henry Wallace of the Progressives. This year only one faculty member bolted the two major parties, his vote going to Progressive Vincent Hallinan.

Stevenson actually showed more strength among the College faculty, but the number of those voting for the respective candidates split evenly at 161 for each. Fifteen Stevenson men said they are not voting, compared to two non-voters in the Republican camp.

Ike Leads in Med School

Eisenhower ran far ahead of his rival in the Medical School, where he attracted 118 faculty members, only one of those not voting. Fifty-five of the Med School faculty backed Stevenson, with all of them going to the polls Tuesday.

The Business School faculty liked Ike by 52 to 14. Fifty-one will vote for Eisenhower in the coming election, and 12 for Stevenson.

Adlai picked up nearly a 2 to 1 victory in the Law School faculty, where 23 favor the Illinois Governor and 13 are for Eisenhower. Two of Stevenson's supporters will not be voting.

The School of Education faculty came out solidly for Stevenson. Seven men, all of whom are voting, supported the Democratic candidate, while no one backed Eisenhower. Seven members of the administrative faculty turned the tables, however, when they voted solidly for Eisenhower, with no one casting for Stevenson.

The Design School polled four votes for Stevenson, and two for Eisenhower, one of those not voting. The faculty in the School of Public Health favored Eisenhower by almost 2 to 1, voting 13 to 7 for the General.

Under a heading of miscellaneous, five men picked Eisenhower while nine chose Stevenson.