Football Yardlings Fold in 2nd Half, Lose to Strong Brown Team, 39-0

The freshman football team's defense, which had held undefeated Brown to one touchdown in the first half, completely collapsed in the third quarter at Providence Saturday, allowing the Bruins to score four quick touchdowns and win, 39 to 0.

The Bruins, sparked by little Zipper Thompson, the Newton boy who wanted to go to Harvard but couldn't get in, counted at 3:02, 5:45, 8:35, and 14:30 of the third period, as the Yardlings fumbled punts and fell apart completely.

Thompson, who had led Brown to a 24 to 6 win over Yale, and who has scored 13 times this year, ran all over the Crimson in the second half, scoring twice. Halfback Bill Cronin and fullback Arch Williams also scored twice, and the former added three conversions.

Subs Get in Late

Yardling coach Bob Margarita cleared his bench after the third Brown touchdown, using third and fourth-stringers. It was the freshmen's first loss since they were edged 13 to 7 by Andover in the season's opener. Last year, the Brown freshmen, led by players now among the infamous 14 who were ruled ineligible because of violations of Ivy scholarship regulations, beat the Crimson, 46 to 13.