Pressure

Freshmen are a little younger but otherwise little different from the upperclassmen. There are no restrictions on a freshman's right to mingle with his elders or ape their manners. Once a year, however, the joins his classmates in a function set apart for freshmen and their dates; the Jubilee weekend.

The Crimson Key has had valid reason to resent the freshman Jubilee, for it has preceded the Key's All-College Weekend by only a week, and has tended to draw freshmen away from the larger festivities.

Last week the Crimson Key presented a proposal to the Student Council calling for a freshman committee to serve on the Kay's board, with the intention of integrating freshman activities into the All-College weekend. Following this first proposal came a brief sentence asking that the Jubilee be moved further into the spring. The Key has already announced its weekend will come after the first five days of reading period.

The freshmen have argued, and justly, that scheduling their weekend earlier might find them sitting indoors watching the last April showers fall with most of the afternoon activities rained out.

The Council will probably pass the first proposal, pending a go-ahead from the Union Committee. But its duties should not include pressuring the Jubilee committee to make way for the Key's weekend.

The sponsors of the All-College weekend enjoy the freedom to bargain with the freshmen and convince them, if they can, to hold the Jubilee at an earlier date, but they should not be armed with Council support. In this case, a Council decision favoring either side would be unfair.