Courtmen Beat Brown 65-61 With Last Period Recovery

By David L. Halberstam

Brown, which for three periods couldn't do anything wrong, and the varsity basketball team, which for three periods couldn't do much right, suddenly switched roles in the last quarter, as the Crimson made up a nine point deficit to beat the Bruins 65 to 61 Saturday night in the Blockhouse.

Brown, mainly on the fine shooting of Captain Lou Murgo and the rebounding of sophomore Ed Tooley, took a 55 to 46 lead as the final period started, and if anything, seemed likely to increase it. But Harvard, led by Captain Dick Lionette, who controlled the backboards, and Bill Dennis, who scored four more points than the whole visiting team in that quarter, quickly erased most of the Brown lead.

Crimson Trails

The Crimson was trailing 58 to 56 with four minutes left, when sophomore Rollin Perry stole the ball away, and with Ed Krinsky assisting, scored the tying lay-up. Dennis' jump shot and foul shot, a minute later, put the Crimson ahead 61 to 58, but Murgo tied it up, sinking a foul shot to complete a three point play. With less than two minutes left, Krinsky put Harvard ahead for good, with a foul shot, while Dennis added three more free throws and put on a semi-freeze.

But possibly the most important factor in the Harvard comeback was the fine defensive play of Ed Condon. Condon kept Murgo down to two field goals in the whole second half, while scoring one himself.

Dennis, who scored only four points in the first half, ended up high man with 21, the third time this year he has reached that mark. Murgo scored 18 for Brown, while Lionette and sophomore Paul Shaw had 11, for Harvard's second place honors.

Freshmen Win

Floyd Wilson's freshmen won their second consecutive game against college freshman opposition when they beat the Bruin yearlings 75 to 60 in the opener.

The Crimson's next game, against a strong Cornell quintet, will be played Wednesday at Ithaca.   G  F  P Sacks, f  2  1  5 Gremp  2  1  5 Dennis, f  8  5  21 Perry  1  1  3 Lionette, c  5  1  11 Manning  0  1  1 Shaw, g  5  1  11 Condon  1  0  2 Bulger, g  1  1  3 Krinsky  0  8  3