Swimmers Crush Maroons By Stunning 61-23 Score

A couple of records were broken but the Springfield swimming team was absolutely crushed as the Crimson natators recorded a surprisingly good 61 to 23 victory, Saturday at Springfield.

Coach Hal Ulen's squad allowed the Maroons a mere two firsts and three seconds as they swept both team relays, six other firsts and five seconds.

Junior Don Mulvey broke a Springfield pool record and upset the favored Al Mayers, a National Finalist in the 200-yard backstroke. His time of 2:16.2' betters by .1 seconds the record set by the Crimson's John Steinhart two years ago.

Springfield's other National Finalist, Bill Yorcyk, was upset twice--in the 220-yard freestyle and the 200-yard breaststroke. Ralph Zani scored a surprise victory in the breaststroke with a time of 2:27.3, with teammate Ken Emerson second and Yorcyk third.

In the 220 freestyle, Dave Hedberg finished first in 2:12.4, with Yorcyk second and the Maroon's Al Hutchinson third. Hedberg scored a double victory and collected ten points, also winning the 120-yard freestyle.

Hutchinson had to break a New England League record to win the 440-yard freestyle with a time of 4:52.5. His victory prevented the Crimson from completely sweeping the freestyle events, for John McNamara had earlier won the 60-yard sprints. Mayers scored the only other first for the Maroons in the 120-yard individual medley.

A combination of Mulvey, Emerson, and Captain Ron Huebsch annexed the 300-yard medley relay, while Rapperport, Marv Sandler, Bill Travis, and Jim Jones won the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Pete Dillingham won the dive with 90.13 points, while teammate Larry Kelly placed second.