Wireless Club's Strong Transmitter Causes Radio, Phone Interference

Broadcasts from the Student activities center headquarters of the Harvard Wireless Club are interfering with neighborhood radios and telephones, Dario Domezi '54, president, revealed last night.

In an effort to eliminate widespread complaint about the disturbances members have been forced to install condensers in radios in the Dunster St. vicinity two and three times every week. "Sooner or later, we'll have repaired all the radios and have eliminated the difficulty, stated Domezi. According to him, the New England Telephone and Telegraph Company is repairing phones disturbed by the broadcast.

Domezi emphasized that the Club is not required by laws to repair radios with which its broadcasts interfere. He remarked, "At present, this is the only place where the University can put us. We would prefer to be elsewhere where we could broadcast without disturbing local sets. Until a time when we are so situated, we are trying to eliminate as many complaints as possible." He explained that average radio sets aren't constructed to withstand possible interference from a very powerful station nearby.

The Wireless club is an association of "ham" wireless operators. Members broadcast to other colleges and at times foreign countries only licensed operators and members of the Club are permitted to operate the Club's transmitter which is according to Domezi.

A spokesman from WHRE stated that their broadcast originating in Dudley Hall have never been interfered with.