HAA Refurbishes Ski Team with Increase In Subsidy; Wise, Dixon Provide Strength

By Richard D. Kaplan

The fuzzy-wuzzy caterpillar is sporting wide stripes these days, and to all ski enthusiasts, this is as sure an indication as any that the oncoming winter will be a good one. And even before the snow came to Cambridge last weekend; the Crimson ski team was limbering itself up in preparation for what it hopes will be its best season since the war.

Skiing has been an official minor sport for over five years, but up to now it seems that nobody recognized it as such. But this year the H.A.A. has substantially increased the team's budget, and the extra money is going to pay for a lot of much needed equipment, help finance long ski weekends, and encourage more people to try out for the team.

Although the skiers lost two out of three of their best cross-country racers last year, according to Captain Tim Wise, this year's squad looks tops. Wise, crack jumper on the team, will lead the array of returning lettermen and talented sophomores.

The team's main hope lies in Neil Dixon, an experienced four-event skier. Despite a sprained ankle suffered early in the season last year, Dixon showed well at the end of the year and in the last cross-country race of the season, beat out John Hart for top honors in that event.

The loss of Hart and Jim Lawson from the cross-country event will probably hurt the team the most. Last year's snow-harriers showed the best in any of the ski team's events since the war, when they finished fourth at the Dartmouth Carnival, and Wise feels its going to be hard recruiting two skiers to fill their places.

Alpine Events Tops

Although former captain John Houser--top man in downhill and slalom--won't be back this year, these events should be the best they have been for many years. With top racers like Harry Gardner, Daryl Hawkins, Whitey Black, and Dixon returning from last year's squad, and strong support from last year's freshman team in Captain Steve Reynolds and Ebby Dane, who beat all the varsity in an individual meet at the end of the season, the Crimson skiers will boast a very strong team in the downhill events. Competition for team berths will be very sharp.

Coach Graham Taylor's squad is looking forward anxiously to the "great things" expected from Norwegian exchange students Johan Andresen, who under the College's athletic rules was not permitted to ski last year. He's expected to ski in all four events.

Among other outstanding competitors who didn't see much action last year, and upon whom the team is counting are Hans Vitzthum, who was out last year with a bad leg, Kris Lehmkuhl, who has had lots of experience, Henry Horner, who proved last year he could fill in at any position, and downhill man Noel Scullin.

Strong Sophomore Support

Last year's freshman team, called the strongest Harvard has had in many years, has sent up to the varsity besides Reynolds and Dane, such versatile men as Pete Pratt, Fred Churchill, and Chris Ingraham. The squad hopes sophomore Pat Colt will work into shape to become one of the team's top jumpers.

Of interest also is that track star Bob Twitchell is going to try to become a cross-country skier. "It's happened before," Wise said," and we figure he could be great."

But before the eight-man team will take to the hills, the squad is going to Woodstock, Vt. during vacation with Coach Taylor, for a week of highly intensive training in all four events before the season gets underway.

As far as the competition goes this year, the big goal for the team is a chance to jump into the Senior Division from the Junior Division they're in now.

Potentially Great

Each year, 11 teams compete in the Senior loop-including Olympic star laden Dartmouth and Middlebury and at the end, the three lowest teams give way to the winners of the three junior divisions. The season officially opens for the Crimson with the Eastern Division Championships at Lyndouville, Vt. on February 7 and 8. If the team wins the Lyndouville races, says Wise, "then we'll go to the Senior division and stick." This would be the Middlebury Carnival. When asked about what chance the team had of jumping leagues, Wise commented, "The only thing I can say about it is that it isn't impossible. This team's got lots of potential."

But even if the squad should not win at Lyndouville, there are many other meets lined up for the team. Highlights of the season will be the Amherst Carnival, the Harvard Invitation Meet at Bromely, and the two dual meets against Dartmouth and Yale.

The Crimson skiers haven't lost to Yale in the last four years, and according to Wise. "we'll beat em again this year."