New Plan Set For Grants to Ed. Students

21 Eastern Colleges Join Plan; Ford Fund to Give $78,000 Yearly for Running Program

President Conant yesterday announced a plan to increase the flow of qualified elementary and secondary school teachers to the public school system by providing fellowships to the Graduate School of Education to graduates of 21 eastern colleges.

The program will provide for the students to spend a fifth year at the graduate school, leading to degrees of Master of Education or Master of Arts in teaching.

The Ford Foundation Fund for the Advancement of Education will provide $45,000 annually for three years for fellowships $33,000 annually for three years for instructors and administrators.

Participating colleges will attempt to increase students' interest in careers as public school teachers and will aim to correlate their undergraduate programs with graduate work in education. These colleges are: Amie N. Barnard, Bennington, Bowdoin, Bryn Mawr, Colby, Colgate, Harvard, Haverford, Holy Cross, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Middlebury, Mount Holyoke, Radcliffe, Simmons, Smith, Swarthmore, Vassar, Wellesley Wheaton, and Williams.

The Graduate School of Education will continue to train elementary school teachers and will instruct secondary school teachers in cooperation with the Harvard and Radcliffe Schools of Arts and Sciences.

The primary reason for this program is that a disproportionately low number of well-equipped graduates of liberal arts colleges are now entering teaching on-the elementary and secondary school level. The 21 institutions agreed that responsibility for improving this situation rests on the coordinated efforts of their colleges and teacher-training institutions.

Emphasis, during the fifth year of study at the Graduate School of Education, will be placed on apprentice or internship experience for each student.