Six Raps Indians By 5-1, Picks Up First League Win

By Hiller B. Zobel

The varsity hockey team finally proved itself last night.

Hitherto lifeless, punchless, and almost winless, Coach Cooney Weiland's skaters put on a fine exhibition of fight and opportunism, upsetting Dartmouth, 5 to 1, before over 6,000 in the Arena.

A pair of goals in each of the first two periods--two by Amory Hubbard--enabled the Crimson to overcome a 1-0 Dartmouth lead. Good defensive work held the Indians helpless thereafter. The win was Harvard's first in three Pentagonal League games, and broke a two-game losing string.

Teamwork gave the Crimson this victory, coupled with a refreshing ability to put the puck into the net, a skill which has not been apparent in the past few games. The passing was fairly good, the shooting accurate. And the defense literally knocked the Indians silly. Captain Dusty Burke and sophomore Jeff Coolidge particularly excelled in this department.

For a few unpleasant early moments, it looked as though the Crimson would not break its slump. At 5:40 of the first period. Dartmouth's Dick Leary stick-handled across the Crimson blue line, and skated easily around the defensemen, who failed utterly to check him. His 30-foot drive caught the corner, and Harvard was one goal down.

But the Crimson tightened, and utilized a one-man advantage to score the tying point. Bill Timpson fired a long shot from the left boards, which Nat Harris tipped in.

Amory Hubbard tallied the eventual winning tally on the prettiest goal of the night (and the season), with the Crimson down a man' Grabbing the rubber at his own blue line, the wiry wingman skated down the boards, eluded Indian Irv Sherwood, and, although booked from behind, managed to poke the disk through goalie Dick McMahon's legs, ending up in the goal himself, on top of McMahon and the puck.

After narrowly missing on several plays. Hubbard opened the second period with a 25-foot backhander for the third Crimson goal, while Dartmouth was one man short.AMORY HUBBARD (7) was one of the standouts in last night's upset victory over Dartmouth. He scored two goals, and looked very good on defense. Here he almost netted a third score, but Big Green goalie DICK McMAHON blocked his shot, after Hubbard had escaped the Indian defense.