Student Council Approves Miller's Study of House, Yard Porter Plan

Student Council members last night approved a report on the Student Porter plan which advocated the continued use of porters in the Yard, but suggested that maids be reinstated in Dunster.

The porter survey has been a Council project, compiled largely by George W. Miller III '52, since last September.

Miller's Student Porter Committee polled students in Dunster House and Thayer Hall, where the porter system is in operation. In Dunster House, where 90% of the men answered the poll, the Council received the following general opinions.

1. 57% of those polled said they favor the reinstatement of maid service; 32% favor the continuation of the porter system.

2. 67% felt that the quality of the student porter's work is worse than that of the maid; 11% felt it is better, and 20% felt it is about the same.

The results of the Dunster poll contrasted with those received from Thayer, where the students reported that:

1. The porters are doing good work, 3S% the porters are doing fair work, 31%; the porters are doing poor work, 31%.

2. The porter service should be continued, 40%; the porter service should not be continued, 40%; no comment, 20%.

Miller's report stated that although the porter system should be continued in the Yard, "there are definite disadvantages to retaining them in Dunster House, or in any of the other six Houses."