Holmes Was Skeptic, Professor Howe Says At Law School Forum

The skepticism of "Mr. Justice Holmes" was the keynote of the talk given last night by Mark De Wolfe Howe '23, professor of Law, at the Law School Forum.

According to Howe, Holmes could not bring himself to believe in the existence of absolutes, and as a result he expressed "considerable doubt as to the competence of any person to find a final answer." Definite evidences of Holmes' "healthy skepticism" are seen in his beliefs in the limited role of the judiciary and in the unlimited role of freedom of speech.

What kept this skepticism from becoming deadening was Holmes' "almost innocent romantic faith in his own opinions," which, however, he did not force on others. Howe believes that the reconciliation of Holmes' romanticism with his skepticism is one of the puzzling and intriguing things about the man.

"He may not go down in history as one of our great philosophers," Howe said, "but it is hard to believe that he will not go down as one of our great judges.

Next Wednesday the Law School Forum will present Paul A. Freund, professor of Law, speaking on "Mr. Justice Brandeis."