Enrollment Drops to 4440 As College Registers Today

Figure Lowest for College Since War, Despite 35 Students Back From Leave

The post-war downward trend in the College enrollment continues today with about 4,440 undergraduates expected to register in Memorial Hall this afternoon. This is a drop of almost a 100 from last fall's 4,498, and about 50 men less than this time last year.

The estimated total makes this the lowest mark since the war. The previous low was set in 1950 with 4,700 against 5,100 the year before. The Registrar's Office based its prediction on the College enrollment as of last Saturday, 4,461. However, it is still considerably over Provost Buck's goal of 4,300 for '51.

Mid-year graduations account for only a small decrease in the total. Of the 56 men who received mid-year degrees, only 15 were registered during the fall term.

Thirty-seven men dropped out during the fall, but this figure is almost balanced by 35 returning students who were absent on leave. No new men have been admitted for the spring term.

Takes Five Minutes

Registration should be as quick as last spring's due to the elimination of unnecessary repeating cards. The whole process, according to Registrar Sargent Kennedy '28, takes about five minutes.

For the second year, registration and the first meeting of courses occur on the same day. Courses composed entirely of sections have their first meetings on Wednesday and Thursday. Formerly there was a two day delay between registration and beginning of classes, but last year the gap was eliminated to save two teaching days and close the College two days earlier in June.

Names from A to M register in Memorial Hall from 1 to 3 p.m., N to Z men from 3 to 4 p.m., and late-comers from 4 to 5 p.m. Continuing the two-year policy there are no preliminary study cards; final ones are due Tuesday, February 12, at University Hall 2.