Navy Sunk By Swimmers As Hedberg Stars

The Crimson swimmers scuttled the United States Navy Saturday. Taking first place in eight out of ten events, Hal Ulen's varsity downed the Middies at Annapolis, 57 to 27.

Back in the Blockhouse the Harvard freshmen celebrated by breezing by a Quonset Point Naval Air Station squad, 49 to 27.

The Annapolis meet represented the varsity's fourth straight win of the season, and its second Eastern Intercollegiate League victory. Dave Hedberg was the lone double winner of the evening, taking both the 50 and 100-yard sprints, the first time this year he has competed in both dash events. Hedberg's time of 23.3 in the 50, with John MacNamara second, was one-tenth of a second from the pool record.

The surprise of the night was furnished by Navy diving ace Jerry Anderson, who handed E.I.S.L. champion Pete Dillingham his first defeat. Anderson's last dive rated a straight nine, giving him 145.6 points to edge Dillingham's 144.7. The other Middle win came in the breaststroke, where Neal Bird finished ahead of Harvard's Ken Emerson and Ralph Zani.

Win Relay

Don Mulvey continued winning in the backstroke, John Hamel took the 220-yard freestyle, and Charlie Egan won the individual medley event. Dick Fouquet provided a mild surprise by defeating teammate Mary Sandler for the first time this season in the 440 freestyle. The Crimson took both relay events, with a good 3:36.8 by Ron Huebsch, McNamara, Bob Stroud, and Hedberg in the freestyle relay.

The freshmen had an easy time with the Quonset flyers, with Captain Al Rapperport in the 100, Jerry Knipe in the 50, and Dave Nickerson in the backstroke outstanding.