Gluecks' Plan To Get Tryout At Hub School

The Boston School Committee this week unanimously approved a plan to train teachers to detect juvenile delinquency, or tendencies toward it, in grade school children. The project closely follows a proposal made in a recent book by Sheldon Glueck, Roscoe Pound Professor of Law, and his wife, Dr. Eleanor Glueck, a research criminologist at the Law School.

In "Delinquents in the Making," the Gluecks stressed the importance of arresting the development of the potential criminal at an early age while his character and habits are "sufficiently plastic for effective therapeutic intervention."

Commenting on the school committee's action, the Gluecks said, "It is gratifying to note that school systems in different parts of the country are beginning to recognize the crucial importance of early recognition of the danger signs of maladaptive child behavior."

The teacher training course, which will be given by the Boston Teacher's College this fall, features lectures on all phases of juvenile delinquency by leading authorities on the subject, including both the Gluecks. Professor John J. Mahoney '03, head of the civic education project at the University, has been asked to serve with the Gluecks and several others on the advisory committee to set up the course.