Brown Defeats Sextet, 7-2, But Yardlings Rip Cubs, 6-2

By James M. Storey, (Special to the CRIMSON)

PROVIDENCE, Feb, 7--Better Passing, faster skating, and rougher hockey gave Brown's varsity exited an easy 7 to 2 victory over the Crimson tonight in the Rhode Island Arena. Coach Cooney Welland's men never seemed to be able to control the peck consistently, while the Bruins kept the pressure on throughout most of the game. The Crimson freshmen made up in some way for the defeat, handily beating the Bruta Clubs, 6 to 2, in the preliminary contest.

From the very beginning there was no question as to the varsity game's outcome. Brown kept the puck in the Crimson none from the first face-off, and opened the scoring at 4:13, although one man short at the time. Veteran center Don Sennott came out from behind the Crimson cage, and backhanded the puck past Nate Corning, while the whole defensive team stood around and watched. It was the first of Sennott's three goals for the evening.

Sophomore Job Bray evened the score 17 seconds afterwards, when he slapped a Norm Wood pass in, over Bruin netminder Bob Copp's shoulder. But, from then on. Brown's fancier, stick handling and more aggressive play bottled up the Harvard attack.

Led by Sennott and Bobby Wheeler, the Bruins scored three more times in the first period, although Corning made 12 gaves, many of them on difficult chances With Captain Dusty Burke playing on the forward line, the Crimson defense seemed logy, and showed none of the hard body checking it had exhibited acainat Northeastern Monday night.

Brown made it 5 to 1 in the first minute of the second period, when Al Gubbins converted a Sennott passout from the boards behind the Harvard goal. The Crimson got its final point when Dick Clasby took the puck at the Bruin blueline, brought it down to about 15 feet in front of the goal, and backhanded it to wing Bill Timpson, who slapped the disk under Copp at 2:28.

Wheeler brought the Bruin total to six halfway through the frame, deflecting a blue line shot from Jack Gilbert between Corning's legs. The Crimson goalie was screened, and had no chance on the drive.

Once again, Wheeler counted for the Bruins, adding the final tally at 6:02 of the last period, when each team was short a man. He took the pass at the blue line, skated, around the Crimson defense, and beat Corning on the prettiest play of the night, a "tuck in" play behind the goalie sliding out.

Although the Harvard attack showed a little more coordination in the last period, it could not sink any of 11 shots at the Brown goal. This was, unfortunately and obviously, just not the Crimson's night.

The game was a rough one, with 14 penalties in all. Harvard had five of these, while the rugged Bruins drew nine.

Corning had 28 saves in all, while his teammates took 26 unsuccessful shots. The slender Crimson goalie was, however, the victim of several defensive lapses.

Welland returned to the first line of George Chase, Amory Hubbard, and Wait Greeley mid-way through the final period, and put Burke back in his old defensive position. But even this shift could not save the Crimson, or the game.