Radcliffe-Amherst Concert

The Music Box

By Lawrence R. Casler

It is too bad that the Amherst Glee Club had to sing Friday night on the same program as the Radcliffe Choral Society. Had it sung by itself or with practically any other woman's chorus, it might have made a fine impression. But compared to Radcliffe's near-professional performance, the Amherst boys just barely got by.

Their opening presentation of five pre-Bach works lacked clarity and precision, and tone quality was on the shaky side. They improved later in the program, but the zestful, well-disciplined Radcliffe group still stole the show. G. Wallace Woodworth led the chorus in a rather dull religious song by Mendelssohn, followed by Verdi's striking Laudi Alla Vergine Maria. Based on a section from Dante's Paradiso, the latter's style is far removed from the broadly lyrical writing of the most popular operas. There is a restraint here that makes its sacred quality all the more effective. The chorus sang with great delicacy, but its usually perfect timing was just a shade off. Then came five British folk songs, arranged by Vaughn Williams. The chorus sang them just as well as in its recent Vaughn Williams concert--there can be no higher praise.

The Amherst group returned after intermission to sing twelve folk songs of various nations. Best were the four Russian songs in settings by Stravinsky. Conductor Robert Beckwith brought out some of the robustness and precision that had been lacking in the chorus earlier. A rousing delivery of Set Down Servant, and some Amherst songs brought this part of the program to a close.

Both choruses and both conductors collaborated in excerpts from Brahms' Liebeslieder Walzes. Although not towering masterpieces, these love songs are piquant and melodious, and the singing was suitably flavorful.