Fencers Tie Brooklyn For 10th Spot in I.F.A. Finals Over Weekend

Crimson fencers wound up in a tenth place tie with Brooklyn College in the Intercollegiate Fencing Association championships Friday and Saturday at Columbia.

The Crimson's 46 points in three-event competition dropped them far behind fourth place Yale's 61, although the varsity beat the Elis 16-11 in a match at New Haven the week before. N.Y.U. barely edged out Columbia, 70 to 69, for the intercollegiate title.

Foilsman Van Chandler was the Crimson's most effective fencer in Saturday's event. Competing in pool three, he scored seven victories against five defeats, including a five to four decision over Columbia's Pat DiMartini which spoiled the Lions' title bid. Saberman Harry Zeil also posted an important victory over Navy at a time when the third place Middles were in contention for title honors.

In epee competition, George McNair, with seven wins and five defeats, was the only Crimson man besides Chandler to win more than half of his 12 bouts. Jack Smith lost seven, won five, while Lester Scherer had a six-six record.

Two other foilsmen fared poorly, with Captain Eric Sollee winning only three bouts and Jan Jertson, five. In saber matches, Zeil won five, Bob McConaughy took four, and Byron Morton, four.

Penn, Princeton, Cornell, C.C.N.Y., and Army also finished ahead of the Crimson.