Crimson Squashmen Win as Singles Tournament Starts

Bacon Pulls Upset; Ufford Spills King

Two unseeded players stole the show is first and second round play of the Intercollegiate Squash Singles Tournament at Hemenway Gym yesterday.

Captain Jim Bacon, one of three Crimson men who made this morning's third round, easily trimmed sixth-seeded Phil Stewart of Trinity in his second match, 15-9, 15-8, 15-6, and Navy's Ralph Potter, suffering from the flu, pulled the upset of the day by defeating second-seeded Cecil North of Princeton. Potter was rushed to Stillman infirmary immediately after the match, but will play today.

Charlie Ufford, Crimson number one man, who is seeded first in the tourney, drew a bye, and then whipped Army's Bob King. Ufford meets Sandy Ewing of Yale this morning, while Dave Watts, who beat Al Wittimer of Wesleyan and Bob Collins of Dartmouth, meets Williams Bill Squires, seeded number three Bacon plays Yale's Dave Maxwell, and Wis Wood, fourth Crimson entry, who lost his second round match to Steve Foster of Dartmouth, is a favorite in the consolation tounrey.

Fourth seeded Hank Gaunt of Toronto and Navy's fifth seeded Jim Organ both were upset during yesterday's wild two rounds. However, Blair Murphy of Yale and Bob Hansen of Wesleyan, both of whom have been seeded high, were ill and did not compete.