Songstress to Be Star at Monday's Yardling Smoker

In an eleventh hour move yesterday the Freshman Smoker Committee secured the services of singer Helen O'Connell as the big-name star for Monday night's entertainment.

Her acceptance culminates the committee's three-month campaign to find a nationally-known performer, which has seen it futilely contact dozens of Hollywood and Broadway entertainers.

Miss O'Connell, a former singer with Jimmy Dorsey's band, is currently costarring with Martin and Lewis at Boston's Metropolitan Theatre. For the past few years she has been recording for Capitol records.

Due to the singers early evening show at the Metropolitan, the committee has been forced to move up the starting time of the Smoker from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30.

The committee has collected a large group of less well-known performers to supplement the program. Heading the list is Boston TV star Freddie Hall, M.C. of the nightly "Show Bar." Others include the Dunster Dunces, the Wellesley Widows, a freshman jazz band called the "Night Hawks," and a group of eight Boston models who will take part in a special skit.

Two of last year's most popular stars will also appear. Sophomore Jerry Alch will be the M.C. again, while juggler Hugh Shepley will perform for his fourth consecutive year.

The list of entertainers is rounded out by a half dozen student performers gathered by the committee's annual University-wide talent hunt.